Saturday, August 6, 2011

Expectations/(Realities)

Here are my expectations and plans for the next couple weeks, and what will happen. I'm sure everything will not go according to plan, which is pretty usual.

Dates:


August 14th: - Leave Texas
August 17th: - Pre-departure orientation in NYC
August 18th: - Leave for Iceland
August 19th: - Arrive in Iceland, 2 day orientation
August 21st: - Everyone meets host family

And now let's explore each date:

August 14th
I'm going to leave San Antonio, say goodbye to my parents and family (fjölskylda), make two connecting flights and arrive in Connecticut around 3 or 4 in the afternoon where some of the oldest childhood friends I have will come pick me up, and we will catch up merry for 2 and a half days. I have not seen them for over 8 years, probably, so that is exciting.

August 17th
I will be woken up at something like 4:00 AM and my friends' father will drive me to New York because he works there and likes to leave early in the morning to avoid the traffic. I'll leave Connecticut around 5:00 AM, and get to the orientation site around 8:00-9:00 AM. There I will meet the other exchange student going to Iceland, hopefully (:DDDD), if she can find me. Just look for the disgruntled kid sleeping in the hotel lobby of the Double Tree. Orientation will occur, which I imagine will be educational and yet boring, lots of stuff we've heard/read before. Expectations here.

August 18th
This day I'm kind of unsure what's happening, because my plane leaves at 8:35 at night. I've read about AFS exchange students going shopping in NYC because their planes leave late, but I don't know if we will be allowed to do that. Hopefully, yes. If not, I get to talk with other exchange students! Then I leave and I sleepily slide into August 19th.

August 19th
6:30 AM, I'M IN ICELAND. FKASFJDFASFDFASDFASDF
There will be an orientation specific to Iceland and all that stuff, and that will last for 2 days. I don't know what will happen there, or where it will, or fdshfjkadfiasdfhs
I just know I will be in Iceland!

August 21st
I MEET MY HOST FAMILY!
I will probably get picked up by my fjöskylda at the orientation and we will cruise along the Icelandic countryside until we slide into Borgarnes, my host-town, and I make myself heima and then...


The adventure begins.


The next post will probably be after the 21st, and you will get to learn about the realities.

Excited face.

No comments:

Post a Comment